As our small step in awaring people about safety and the importance of safety gears, we cover the mishaps stories of riders and share their thoughts and experiences.
This month, we cover the mishap story of a popular name in the world of Nepalese Youtubers and Moto Vloggers, Sushan Maharjan whom we better know as SMZ.
With seven years of riding experience, he started off his journey with his dad’s motorcycle. “There was a whole different level of excitement and zeal of riding the motorbike in chowks and empty streets of the valley”, SMZ said.
We asked him a few questions in regards to his riding experiences and accidents and these are some of the excerpts:
1. Please elaborate the mishap (accident).
– I’ve been in a lot of accidents as I was one of those adrenaline fueled teenagers who just wanted to twist the throttle. Among the accidents, a few of them were very severe where I could have lost my life. The most recent accident faced by me was when I was on my ride with Benelli to Bandipur which was caused due to target fixation.
2. What safety gears were you using during the mishap?
– Helmet, riding jacket and a pair of riding gloves.
3. What, according to you, are the most important safety gears and why?
– According to me, the most important safety gears are a highly visible helmet and gloves. A highly visible helmet makes your visibility stronger in front of other people on the road which helps in preventing accidents. Likewise, gloves are the second most important gear, as during the accident, it is the palms of our hand which meets the roads first.
4. Please share an interesting instance of your riding journeys and how a safety gear helped you.
– I usually don’t wear safety gears except for my helmet and a pair of gloves. It was back in grade 12, when I was returning from my trip to Pokhara. In between the ride, a man took a steep right cut in front of me without any sign or indication. Being unable to stop the bike due to high speed in the speedometer, I ended up hitting the man’s bike. Surprisingly, the man whom I hit had no bit of scratches whereas, me and my friend who was sitting back of my motorbike, went off the bike drastically.
What was shocking was when I banged my head on the road, there was not even a single scratch on the head. This was due to the helmet I was wearing at the moment. The story gave me a lifelong lesson to always wear a helmet while riding.
SMZ’s motorcycle after the accident.
5. Please give a short message for other riders.
– With a tint of humor, SMZ says “Ride hard ride safe (Shashwat boros dialogue).”
This story surely makes one understand the importance of a safety gear and how they help us during our bad times. Being reluctant to safety gears would do nothing but lead us into the well of safety hazards. It is rightly said that when we gamble with safety, we bet our life. Also, while riding on the roads, it is not just an individual’s fault every time. We must be sensible enough to practice the right ways of riding on the roads and respect other riders too. However, safety is simple as ABC, ‘Always be careful.’
Covered By: Yashaswi Surana
Rider: Sushan Maharjan